I use this recipe ALL the time for cakes and cupcakes!
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup butter
- 3 to 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of icing sugar. Add vanilla extract and continue beating. If your icing needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining icing sugar. If your icing needs to be thinned out, add milk. (I usually leave out the milk)
- Add any food colouring after the vanilla extract and leave out the milk.
- If you are using for cupcakes: a thicker consistency is desired. Scoop into piping bag.
- If you are icing a cake: a thicker consistency is not required, just spread with a knife.