So this recipe is adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction’s Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Nutella Frosting
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine (approx)
- 2 cups icing sugar (approx)
- 1 cup Nutella (approx)
- Dessicated coconut
- Mini Crunch Bars
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line 14 muffin cups with liners. (I just made 12)
- Whisk together the cocoa and 1 cup hot water. Cool to room temperature by placing in the refrigerator as you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat only until just combined. In a steady stream, add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake for 16-19 minutes.
- Make the icing: Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add icing sugar and continue to beat on medium speed. The mixture will be fairly thick. Add the Nutella and continue to beat on medium speed. Depending on the consistency you want (for piping or spreading) add more icing sugar and or butter.
- I added about 3/4 cup of dessicated coconut to the icing and then once cooled I topped the cupcakes with the icing. Instead of using a piping bag (the coconut will not go through a piping bag) I just topped the cupcakes with a spoon then added the mini Crunch bars on top.