I use this cake quite often for layer cakes or cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- I always beat the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl then add to the butter sugar mixture.
- If you’re making a cake butter and flour 2 cake pans and divide the batter between the two and bake for about 35 minutes. If you’re making cupcakes divide between the baking tins and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Simple Layer Cake